Thursday, July 15, 2010

NYC Musical Saw Festival

If I can manage to look past my obsession with the banjo, the fiddle, or the accordian, I will eventually remember that I am obsessed with the magic of the musical saw. I really want to try and play one someday and with awesome youtube instructional videos like this, why not? 
Phillip, who is obviously The Man, says you just have to remember three things: bend, stroke, and tremble. Oh Phillip, I think I can manage to remember that you dirty rascal. Who knew the saw was so laden with sexual innuendoes? While Phillip's rendition of the grandfather song is striking,  I prefer the saw to be layered into a song like MP3:Frontier Ruckus's "Nerves of the Nightmind" or Horse Feather's "Heathen's Kiss". But if you are as curious as I am about the musical saw or if you are a die hard fan of the saw and you happen to be in the New York City area, I have just the event for you.

The 8th Annual NYC Musical Saw Festival will be held in Astoria on Saturday August 7th at 2p.m. You can learn more about it on their website here. You should also know that last year the festival got into the Guinness Book of Records for the "Largest Musical Saw Ensemble" with 53 saw players playing together. Imagine all of that stroking and trembling in one room! Luckily, there is a youtube video for that too. If you are in the mood for something wildly different, why don't you check it out. It's a great way to escape the heat for an afternoon and only costs $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...