Friday, November 20, 2009

Wilco - Jesus etc.

It may be an oldie (when I was in high school) but it is my favorite Wilco song of all time. But something about it makes me sway side to side as I sing along in my head and it works like a big musical hug, that sounds stupid but I don't know how else to describe the song. It is a comfort song and it can do the same thing for me that a big bowl of homemade cheddar cheese mashed potatoes can. In fact I will even give you my comfort song playlist in the next post later today. Not only is the picking of violin strings that make this song great but the lyrics, for me at least, are beautiful. In case you haven't noticed, I am a sucker for lyrics. Recently this song has been covered by Norah Jones and there is another version with the collaboration of Andrew Bird who is one of my other favorites. I would give you both but the quality is kind of lame so check out the clips on itunes, you will appreciate it much more. Here is the Norah jones version and the original.
tall buildings shake

voices escape singing sad sad songs
tuned to chords strung down your cheeks
bitter melodies turning your orbit around


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...