Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Borrowing from Blogs

I have two new features coming your way and I am very excited to introduce you to my first ever feature: Borrowing from Blogs. I read a lot of different music blogs throughout the week because, unlike other lucky bloggers, my inbox is not perpetually full with emails from bands and pr people trying to promote their music. Hopefully, someday soon I will be blessed with that burden. Until then, I must peruse the almighty blogosphere for new songs to become obsessed with. Each week I would like to introduce you to a new blog and songs that I liked based on their suggestions. It won't be the most common songs, just the ones that captured my attention for whatever reason.

The first blog is Sunset in the Rearview who recently added a second writer, Falade, who is responsible for introducing me to this supremely awesome cover. I love covers of rap songs and this one is not all that different from Anya Marina's "Whatever you like" T.I. cover, just a little bit crazier without being a direct representation of the original song. Click the links to stream or download via their blog.

And thanks to Lydia for this song from Error Operator, Follow. The voice comes from a 1976 film, Network. Never heard of it before, but now I am curious. Sometimes songs with voice clips layered with instrumentation fall flat, but the energy in this is just great paired with the piano and beats, I cant stop listening to it. And by can't stop listening to, I mean I have memorized the words. It is one of those that I like to play in my car with the windows down so that people look at me funny. "I want you to get up now, I want all of you to get out of your chairs, I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell: I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" And the ending clip is just as good too, "All I know is first you've got to get mad. You've got to say 'I'm a human being goddamn it! My life has value!'" If you happen to run into me today, you might catch me reciting that very line. London based and hidden in anonymity, Error Operator is going to be someone to look out for in the future.

Like what you heard? I follow both of them on twitter, you can too (Falade and Lydia). Don't forget to check out their site, Sunset in the Rearview. Also, when I happened to have flashed an entire train on the way to a concert that ended up being cancelled, and then I also lost my ID so I couldn't go to the rescheduled concert on the other side of town, Lydia was the only one to respond to my pathetic tweet about my crazy monday events. Even though I had already written this blog post before all that, they have officially solidified a place as my favorite music blogger twitterers, but they were basically right up there before then anyways.

2 comments:

  1. Just read this post and I am flattered by the feature. So happy you liked the song.

    I hold the same sentiments as you when it comes to searching for music. Unlike Lydia I don't get emails in my inbox. (Yes I am jealous)

    So I am constantly on blogs listening to and then sharing new music. So we art in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also flattered! Thanks for doing this. I love that you've memorized the words already, that's great.

    Even though I get lots of email submissions, I'm crawling on different blogs all day every day as well. If you want to talk more, though, about how to get in touch with people, you can email me, I'd be glad to chat.

    Thanks again!
    -Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...