Friday, December 10, 2010

Beach House is like Brussel Sprouts

Listen to: Zebra & Norway



People say that you can be genetically predisposed to disliking brussel sprouts. You either have the genes that allow you to like the bitter taste of them or you don't. I happen to like brussel sprouts just fine, but I have to admit that...this is really hard to get out...I...don't...like...Beach House. For months now, I've been hoping I could blame it on genetics. 

For so many reasons I really should like this band, the vague lyrics are a non-issue, the hazy, ethereal, drifting mood is something that usually captures my attention, the calming melodies and soothing voices, are all things I like. Many people and bloggers with whom I share similar tastes in music have put this album high up on their "Best of" lists this year. Every review I've read screams "Jessica, you will love this album!" But I don't, not even a little bit. I own the album and I've sat down with it three times throughout the year to seriously listen to it, not to mention the countless times I forced myself to let it play all the way through when it came up on shuffle. But now as I try to get into it one last time, I am itching to skip through the songs, nothing holds my attention for longer than 20 seconds. If I had to choose a song I like the most it would be "Used to Be" but I still want to change the song half way through. 

I wish I could explain why I dislike Beach House better, but it is not really anything I can voice, they just don't do it for me, like I have a glitch in my system. I'm sorry, I tried my best, but now I must accept the hard truth that I simply don't like Beach House, even though I really hoped I could over time. I've honestly tried to let their music sink in, but I always end up scrunching my nose in a pained expression much like a person would if they were genetically incapable of liking brussel sprouts but trying them anyway.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

2 comments:

  1. They used to not do it for me, now I love them. What gives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll have to come back to them in another year or so?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...