Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Resurrectionists - Cordelia [Listen Local]

I'd like to introduce you to The Resurrectionists, who I came across when I was looking up concerts at The Lizard Lounge in Cambridge. They had a month long residency there in November and I was lucky enough to catch their last show of that residency. It was one of those concerts that I left wondering why I didn't see them the past three weeks, it would have been worth it. The song they played at their concert from their soon to be released album, "Chainsaw Heart" was enough to keep me wanting more. But if you're in Boston you can catch their next show at grand re-opening of The Midway Cafe in Jamaica Plain on January 7th. It's slated to be my first concert of 2011 and I couldn't be more excited.
The Resurrectionists have been a part of the Boston americana-roots/rock scene for four years now. They bring to the table a lively amalgam of blusey, rock, and foot stomping tunes that sound best turned up loud. My favorite song of theirs, "Cordelia",  sounds like it was born in the Louisiana bayou. I can't help but sing along with the theatrical background vocals as he sings Cordelia over and over. I feel like their song "Jesus Loves You", could be an easy and seamless substitution for HBO's True Blood theme song. It has that same dark atmosphere, partially due to that unique steel guitar sound. With lyrics  like "Heard you started boozin' at 3pm/Heard you lost your religion like REM/Heard you got that guitar and formed a rock 'n' roll band/Let loose three weighty bar chords, sang of your inner pain" You'll be putting their songs on repeat and stomping your foot along in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...