Thursday, January 20, 2011

Twilight Hotel - Mahogany Veneer

"Mahogany Veneer" is an outstanding track from Twilight Hotel's latest album When the Wolves Go Blind, released just this week. From the quiet softness of the banjo being plucked, the slight waiver in his voice when he sings, nearly whispering at the end, "my old life fell away like mahogany veneer", to the cities it takes you, every inch and aspect of this song is perfect. It sounds like a hymn for marching into the future, quietly urging you to keep going with a heavy dose of nostalgia for the places and events of the past.
This song absolutely crushes me. I haven't felt like this since the first time I heard Sharon Van Etten. Each time the song comes to an end I realize I've been holding my breath. It's truly affecting. Before I blather on any more I suggest you listen to this right away.

"We scanned our new horizons and the vastness made us weep."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...