Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New Music Tuesday

This week is a lot more exciting than last week, so get ready to break out your wallets. There are already two albums that I've listened to a lot and am borderline obsessed with.


Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Here We Rest
This alt-country album focuses a lot on Jason Isbell going back to where he grew up in Alabama. It's a wonderful homecoming album. Don't be scared of that alt-country tag I gave it, because this album has a mass appeal effect due to the song writing skills and use of mandolin, banjo, guitars, and an accordion. Some of my favorite songs off of this are: "Alabama Pines", "Heart on a String", "Stopping By", "Tour of Duty" and of course the first single "Codeine"...I had to stop myself from listing all the songs there. It really is a stand out album start to finish. There is even a 28 second ballad to Nobeard that makes good use of the accordion and makes me laugh every time.
Listen: Codeine

The Apache Relay - American Nomad
I did just recently find out about this band, but yesterday when the temperature was near 80 degrees I got to give the album the ultimate test--driving with the windows down and blasting their songs. It passed with flying colors and I have a feeling it's going to be a go to driving album. Read my live review here. There is unbelievable talent and an energy that gets right under your skin. The title track is my current theme song.
Listen: Home is Not Places


To keep it short I'll just list the rest of what might be interesting and let me know if I forgot anything.

Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
Agnes Obel - Philharmonics 
Atmosphere - The Family Sign
Cameron McGill & What Army - Is a Beast
Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys!
The Feelies - Here Before
Jamaica - No Problem
Low - C'mon
A Lull - Confetti
Mount Moriah - Mount Moriah
Panda Bear - Tomboy
Sarah Jaffe - Ever Born Again
Sonny & The Sunsets - Hit After Hit
TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
Vessels - Helioscope
Washington - How to Tame Lions
Little Scream - The Golden Record Listen: The Heron & The Fox

Good luck with your picks. Happy listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...