Monday, March 15, 2010

Vampire Weekend - Giving Up the Gun

So, this should have been posted forever ago but with all the excitement surrounding Vampire Weekend's second album I kind of blocked it out. But I finally took some time to listen to the album, Contra, and it does not disappoint. It is different from their first album which seemed to have been a success that surprised even the band as their hits like Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa and A-punk even made it onto mainstream radio. For their sophomore album they were prepared and kept the same fun loving attitude but pumped it up a little bit with faster guitars, more synth beats, and electro-pop studio tricks.  I am constantly baffled by how much "White Sky" sounds like a Paul Simon song and I think that is part of their appeal, taking the old classic style and adding some spice for the indie-pop-rock era that is ever so popular these days. "Holiday" is also a lot of fun and perfect for a Summer 2010 soundtrack. Overall the album is good, not a standout in my book, but good enough that I'll keep coming back to it. As much as "Giving up the Gun" is heavy on the synthesizers, I am drawn to it, must be that darned glockenspiel which I fear has now replaced my hand-clapping obsession. The lyrics resonate well too.

And though its been a long time
You’re right back where you started from
I see it in your eyes
Now you’re giving up the gun
I see you shining your way
Go on go on go on

Freebie: You can get their song Horchata for free here. It is a worthy download, if you like their other stuff.

Oh, I almost forgot...this video is a total riot with cameos made by the most unlikely people: Joe Jonas of the Jonas Brothers, Jake Gyllenhaal, Lil' Jon and RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan. A definite must watch, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...