Monday, September 13, 2010

The Head and The Heart - Sounds Like Hallelujah

Official | Myspace | Buy
      For an album that was released in the end of June, I was expecting to have heard more about them. But this Seattle based band might be one of the best kept secrets. The fact that bands making beautiful music like this get overshadowed by hyped up bands like Best Coast makes me lose a little bit of faith in the music blogging world. This is one of those bands where I heard one song thanks to Fuel/Friends summer mix tape and I went out and bought the entire record without needing to preview every song. I knew it was going to be just what I was looking for.
      The self titled debut album has solid piano playing in it, not just random notes hammered out on a keyboard, but substantial piano playing. The band harmonizes in most songs and has a rich and smooth sound. Then there are the lyrics. Simply written and beautifully sung, it's not hard to get lost in them. They speak to that feeling of simultaneously wanting to leave and wanting to stay, and missing people no matter where you are. The album manages to be heartwarming and heart wrenching all at once.
      Now, this is the perfect fall music, and the entire album is outstanding, I can't really stress that enough. While I wait for permissions to post songs, I will give you the one that first turned me on to this band (thanks to my favorite Denver based music blog). Wait until you get to the chorus with the foot stamping/hand clapping and then go buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...