Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Mixtapes of Yore #1
Technology progressed, and I still have the very first C.D. I ever burned circa 1999. Friends have asked why I save them all as if mixes were just a hoodlum group of songs that you could throw out your car window when you were bored with them, and the answer is usually because mixes are my scrapbooks and more descriptive about who I was than any pictures could be. I can't imagine throwing them out. When I play an old mix, I can recall exactly what, why, or for whom I was making the mix, in a freakishly vivid way. My chronological order of things is very dependent on the songs of the time. Some of the mixes in my arsenal are funny, some are pathetically teen-angsty, and the only way I can remember that I broke up and got back together with my high school boyfriend more than a dozen times is because there is a mix for just about every time. Instead of letting the hundreds of mixes sit in their many piles and cases I thought it was high time I shared them, because thats what mixes are for.
We'll start with one of the first ones from the year 2000, because what better way to start a new feature than with a 10 year old Bad Ass Mix?
1. Steve Miller Band - The Joker
2. G. Love & Special Sauce - Kick Drum
3. Blackstreet - No Diggity
4. The Gourds - Gin & Juice (Snoop dogg cover)
5. Montell Jordan - This is how we do it
6. Warren G. - Time in the LBC
7. G. Love & Special Sauce - Gimme' some lovin'
8. Greatful Dead - Casey Jones
9. Dr. Dre - Xxplosive
10. G. Love & Special Sauce - Coming home
11. Lauryn Hill - Too Good to be True
12. Sublime - What I Got
13. Salt-n-Pepa - Shoop
14. Sublime - Caress Me Down
15. G. Love & Special Sauce - When We Meet Again
16. Lauryn Hill - Killing Me Softly
17. G. Love & Special Sauce - Baby got sauce
18. Pearl Jam - Throw Your Arms Around Me
Can I get some fries with that shake shake baby?