Friday, March 25, 2011

Quarterly Roundup - Lovely Ladies

The first three months of 2011 have been incredible. There is so much out there that I'm still getting into some bands who released music in January. In order to manage the onslaught of music, I'll be doing quarterly roundups breaking them up between a few posts to provide reminders of what has passed us by. This first post is just a taste of what is to come next week where I'll be stuffing your faces with some of the best music I've heard over the past three months.

One of the things I loved so much about these early months were the outrageously strong and wonderful albums from indie/dance/pop ladies. I would never usually segregate lists by the sexes, I am just doing this to point out some terrific albums that happen to fall into one genre, all of which are worth owning.

Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes [BUY]
Perhaps the most anticipated of all the ones on this list, it was no let down. It was haunting, dark, and a solid album start to finish.

Lykke Li - Love Out of Lust


Oh Land - Oh Land [BUY]
This album is the perfect contrast to Lykke Li. If Lykke Li is dark, Oh Land is light. This album wasn't as much pop as I expected it to be, it's wavering on that line of breaking out into mainstream or being destined to be remixed hundreds of times as club songs. But it was still inviting, fun, and made me want to dance.
Oh Land - Perfection

Yelle - Safari Disco Club [BUY]
Yelle continues to put out infectious french electro-pop. I ate this one right up, loving every moment. (Out March 29th)

Yelle - Que Veux Tu (Madeon Remix)




Those Dancing Days - Daydreams & Nightmares [BUY]
This one was released with much less fan fare than the previously mentioned albums and while it's not quite as good as their last album, there are still quite a few songs of theirs that I'm putting on my playlists.

Those Dancing Days - I'll Be Yours (Visions of Trees Remix)
Those Dancing Days - Keep Me In Your Pocket



Alex Winston - Sister Wife (mini LP) [BUY]
Between the 6 songs on this and the 4 covers she gave away for free, Alex Winston made an impressive start for herself with her unique voice. I love this Locomotive song.
Alex Winston - Locomotive 
Alex Winston - Locomotive (Jaybird remix)








Links have been removed due to DMCA notice, since they didn't tell me what song was a violation (I had legit permission for each song however) I had to remove them all, sorry. You can stream the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...