Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Handful of Summer - Day Three

      Did you know there are an overwhelming amount of concerts to go to this weekend for Boston people? Starting tonight there is the Americana Festival at hard rock or Yacht Club at Harper's Ferry or Theophilus London with The Cool Kids at the Middle East Downstairs. Who knew Thursdays were filled with so many choices? On Friday, Modest Mouse is playing at the House of Blues. If you were lucky to get free tickets for Passion Pit's show on Saturday, that is happing at Royale and should be awesome. Then in the smallest concert venue ever (one of my least favorite) the Middle East upstairs will have Yukon Blonde and some other bands playing Sunday night. Then Delta Spirit with Romany Rye at the Middle East downstairs on Monday, and there are still tickets available which just blows my mind, but is also good because I still haven't trekked over to Cambridge to buy them.
      I am horribly anti-ticketmaster who recently merged with LiveNation just so they can extra screw all us concert goers over. I only buy tickets at the door or box office. You should do the same you save something absurd like $10 for a pair of tickets. Concerts are one of the best ways to support bands you like and are quite often a cheap form of entertainment. If you like any of the bands I list here, check out their websites and see if they have any concerts in your area. These up and coming bands are some of the best concerts you will ever see.
      Here is an example: My $8 ticket for a Hey Marseille concert was easily my top purchase of 2010. I also bought their cd at the show for $6. But I felt guilty that they were only asking for $6 so I also bought Matt a $2 beer. And it was still the best $16 I ever spent. The band was really fun to drink a beer with while watching the other bands, and I also got their set list.

That was my rant for the day, to reward you for reading that, here are some tunes.

MP3: Frontier Ruckus - Nerves of the Nightmind
If you don't want to listen to all the songs I posted today and can only pick one, pick this one!!! I love the  banjo, the male/female vocals, the SAW, the awesome piano, the trumpet. It basically has half of my favorite instruments, which is amazing. Songs like this are my favorites. I hope you like it.

MP3: We Are Scientist - Rules Don't Stop Me
I would have liked this song more in high school when I was all "rules are for communist" and going through my rebellious stage. I also liked this pop-rock stuff more then too. But it is still a decent upbeat song, good to put on your running mix.

MP3: Jenny And Johnny - Scissor Runner
I posted about Johnathan Rice last week because I was looking forward to this new C.D. Jenny Lewis and Johnathan Rice the talented girlfriend/boyfriend duo. I love male/female duos and they do a great job together. Make sure to check out their new album!

MP3: The Coral - In The Morning
When I found out The Coral was still in existence I definitely fist pumped out of unbridled excitement. It was kind of embarrassing since I was at my office, also known as the silent room at the Boston Public Library. Which means everyone in the massive room saw my absurd looking fist pump. I loved this band to pieces in high school with "Pass it On" and that Captain Kangaroo song. They are a really fantastic British band.

MP3: Stars - We Don't Want Your Body
Another band I have been obsessed with in the past has a new album coming out in a few weeks. Their new stuff follows in the direction of their last album with computery/synthy glitz suitable for the dance floor. I will like it no matter what.

MP3: Hot Spa - Kiola Beach
A summery indie tune from an Australian band. There are limited amounts of info on this band, but I do enjoy this song when I am zoning out in my car with the windows down.

What do y'all think about this new type of post? Good/Bad? Too much music at once? Should I keep doing this? Let me know.

Hi to my Australian visitors, especially Melbourne and Perth. There has recently been an onslaught of readers from Australia, I don't know who to thank for that but I am grateful for it. Come back soon.

1 comment:

  1. i find it completely amazing and actually a shame that the delta spirit show isn't sold out. touring a great new album should be enough to sell out. From everything I've heard they put on a great performance and i totally look forward to the show.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...