Friday, October 1, 2010

Sleepier Times Mixtape

This is my sleepy time mix, I was making it last night and even though I drank a large iced coffee at 6pm I had fallen alseep on the couch by 10. Like I tell the kids I made this for, "I have songs that magically put you to sleep." Guess I was right. Keep in mind that I made this mix for little kids under the age of five and is partially based on what songs they fall asleep to when driving around in my car. So the beginning of the cd is a little bit more fun/kid friendly (but still indie and totally suited for adults) and then I figure at the halfway point kids should be asleep so a few darker songs get added to the mix. I tried to keep the overall theme quiet and peaceful, yet positive, to induce sleep with the magical power of songs. Download is only available through the weekend. Click the link at the end to download the zip file.
See the playlist after the jump



1. Sun Airway - Oh, Naoko
Reminds me of my favorite childhood book, Papa, Please Get The Moon For Me


2. Van Morrison - Days Like This
"I just have to remember there'll be days like this"


3. Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors - Live Forever
He said he wrote this for his sister's kids when I saw him live. It's precious.


4. Andrew Bird - The Twistable, Turnable Man Returns
I love Shel Silverstein and this comes from one of my favorite albums of the year.


5. Josh Ritter - The Curse
I love the story of the mummy. It's a beautiful song and a good story to listen to. 


6. Bert & Ernie - I don't want to live on the moon
My favorite sesame street song, yup I have one. Oddly enough, it explains my adult life too. 


7. Priscilla Ahn - Leave the Light On
I think this is one of the sweetest, simplest lullabies I've ever heard.


8. Matt Costa ft Jack Johnson - Lullaby
This was from the Curious George soundtrack.


9. Peter Bradley Adams - The Longer I Run
This has religious undertones but when I ignore that, it has been a very comforting song.


10. Hem - Half Acre
Just a long time favorite song. Puts kids to sleep like magic. 


11. Nicki Bluhm - Danny's Song (cover)
A good one for a sing along. 


12. Clem Snide - Faithfully (Journey Cover)
A fantastic cover by a fantastic musician. Takes the 80s right out of the song.


13. Rosi Golan - Think of Me
Just a sweet quiet one.


14. The Low Anthem - To Ohio
This has always sounded like falling asleep while driving to Ohio to me.


15. The Record Summer - An Enormous Anger Grows in Brooklyn
This one inexplicably makes the little kids fall asleep every time.


16. Teitur - Sleeping With the Lights On
"Until the sun comes up you can hold my hand"


17. Neko Case - I Wish I Was The Moon
Always loved this one. "I'm so tired and I wish I was the moon tonight."


18. Bon Iver - Skinny Love
I was told by a 4 year old, "He has a rock & roll voice, but his music isn't rock & roll enough for me."


19. Vienna Teng - Lullabye For a Stormy Night
Self explanatory.


20. George Winston - Walking in the Air
My favorite piano player, I used to fall asleep to his music as a kid. I highly suggest his winter and autumn albums. 

[Download No Longer Available]

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...